Monday, July 27, 2009

Weekend drive to my hometown

Once in a while I drive down to my hometown instead of hopping a train.
On Saturday morning, I fixed my stepney wheel and headed to my native.
Ate chappatis in Adyar Ananda Bhavan on the Highway and continued my drive.
I was alone hearing my favorite songs aloud, cruising at 120KMPH most of the time and touched 140KMPH at times, as it thrills... After covering 270Kms approximately and my home was only 40kms away.

Just before 10Kms to kanchipuram, one accident, Honda City car hit a motor cycle, the rear wheel of the motor cycle was twisted and motor cycle driver was in the vicinity. Car looked good. No blood on the road. I deviated a bit and proceeded on my way to avoid chain accident. 5Kms down, another accident, A car with 3 passengers hit the rear side of a lorry, while lorry was crossing the road.
No injuries to the fellow who sat on the back seat. Driver was injured at few places on his face, but he was quite okay when compared to the other passenger. The other passenger was injured heavily, few places on the face, heavy injuries on both the legs, as the dashboard jammed on his knees. Not sure whether he wore the seat belts. He might be in late 50s.

When I reached that junction, poor old fellow was taken out and he was sitting on the road. I stopped my car few meters away, checked them if I could be of any help. The driver introduced himself as a doctor and he needs help. As there is no immediate availability of ambulance and kanchipuram is few kms away, we decided to take the heavily injured person to the hospital in my car. Few people helped to lift him carefully without touching the injured areas and rested him on back seat of my car.As the legs are injured heavily, he couldn't fold his legs, we couldn't close one of the doors. The person who didn't get hurt stood inside and held the open door, the doctor sat next to me and we moved the car. Doctor called few relatives and informed about the situation and asked them to reach kanchipuram. Injured person started telling "Narayanna", "Narayanna" and some other slogans. We crossed 3kms may be, the wind force on the door was to much, I couldn't go fast, as it hurts the injured person. We found few numbers of the ambulance on a sign board, called an ambulance, and waiting for the ambulance. I thought of calling my home to inform the delay, the call didn't go through as my currency reached the minimum and it was in roaming coverage.

In the meantime, the highway patrol vehicle came in, asked few questions, and they said they can help to reach the hospital. We moved the injured person from my car to the highway patrol vehicle. As we lifted the person, he started shouting "pain is too much, let me die instead" :( May be half a litre of blood came out of his body. We finally moved him to the patrol vehicle. patrol inspector made the person to kind of sit, straighted his legs, and managed to close the door. The patrol vehicle headed to a hospital in kanchipuram. I came to my car, thought of following the patrol vehicle, but it went out of my sight with the siren turned on. 3 kms down, as I reached the junction, I am not sure which direction, the patrol vehicle went on. So, I took the turn that goes to my native town and reached my home after 2 hours of delay. Everyone was waiting for me. I explained the situation, ate late lunch, tried to take a nap, couldn't get sleep.

Back seat was stained with lots of blood.I took the car to the water wash centre. After seeing the blood, First guy refused to clean indirectly by saying "you remove the seat covers and get it". I took the car to the mechanic shop, he refused to remove the seat covers by saying "I'm allergic to blood stains, I'll vomit If I remove". Then I took the car to another water wash near by. It took almost 5 minutes to convince him to clean. He agreed only after asking him the question "I helped an injured person, don't you help me to clean my car?" . He and his helper cleaned all the blood stains on the seats, and then water washed the car. After the work, asked him about the charges, he said "Give me as you wish sir". Paid the amount to see the smile on his face, gave some tips to the helper.


Rested myself on sunday, headed back to bangalore on monday. The onward journey taught me many lessons.
So, my speed was less than 100KMPH most of the times, rarely hit 110kms. Good to say that no accident on the return journey. I hope that injured person reached a better condition by now.
As our highways are not like the freeways in other countries, it is always good to follow few things:
1) Keep your speed under control (May be less than 100KMPH)
2) Look ahead and watchout within 50 - 100 meters. someone may cross or some vehicle may cross the road.
3) Watchout your rear and side mirrors
4) Be alert to press the break at anytime
5) Don't drive when you are sleepy
6) Front seat passenger has be very alert and never ever sleep on the journey. He/She can help to avoid many accidents.

No comments:

Post a Comment